Software BugWe got an interesting application crash yesterday with a confusing message similar to this:

Fault bucket 42424242, type 1

P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000007
P8: 00000000
P9:
P10:

We spent some time wondering if our crypto libraries were the problem (we just made some changes recently), but concluded that was unlikely. So what the heck is the “StackHash” module? Did our trashed stack cause the kernel to think we were a different module? Nope.

The answer is that the Windows executive couldn’t identify the module we were in when the application crashed (it uses the instruction pointer to determine what code was executing). In this case, the kernel simply takes a hash of the stack so at least we might be able to identify if we’ve seen this exact crash before. Here’s the answer summarized by an engineer from Microsoft:

In the OS when I try to get a faulting module name it is possible that there is no module laoded (sic) at that address. For example in this case the EIP was zero. So in those cases where a module is not loaded and it is not also in the unloaded module list, I take a stack hash of the stack so that we can identify this crash from other crashes where also the module is not known.

Tagged with:

45 Responses to StackHash and Application Crashes on Windows

1. Chris says:

Your answer, while informative, doesn’t tell anyone how to fix the issue. I would imagine most folks would like to know what IS the problem, not what MIGHT be.

The error is related to Data Execution Prevention, btw. I think your MS Engineer was blowing smoke up your butt because he didn’t know how to fix it.

Here’s how 99 percent of Vista users can fix a StackHash failure. I’ll walk you through it step by step:

Method A:
    —————
    1. Open your Start menu and click Control Panel
    2. Browse to “System Maintenance” then “System”
    3. In the left panel, select “Advanced System Settings” from the available links
    4. You should now see the System Properties Window, which will have three sections. The top section is labeled “Performance” and has a “Settings” button. Click this button.
    5. Select the “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
    6. Select the option which reads “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”
    7. Use the “Browse” button to locate the executable file for the application you were trying to start when you received the StackHash error, and click Open to add it to your exceptions list.
    8. Click Apply or OK to commit your changes.

Method B:
    ————–
    Remove Vista, and either downgrade to XP, or upgrade to Linux. :)

Tom reply on April 29th, 2009 2:56 pm:

Hey Chris, thanks for the comment.

I would agree we’d like to know what the problem IS, but DEP is not the answer. Disabling DEP for the application just works around the error message. The problem is NOT the error message (and by extension, DEP), but the error itself. Disabling the error message just hides the problem.

I strongly recommend leaving DEP on and finding out what is actually triggering it (if you’re the application developer). I’m in no why trying to solve an end-user problem.

While I am a Linux fan (currently Fedora 10 w/ enlighenment), DEP is NOT really an OS feature… it’s a CPU feature that the kernel can chose to support. Linux has supported this for awhile now, so calling this a Vista problem is misleading.

From an OS kernel perspective, I think Vista is definitely an improvement over XP and I don’t recommend downgrading. However, I will not “take a bullet” for the shell. Hopefully this continues to improve over successive versions.

overlord reply on December 18th, 2012 10:35 pm:

Awesome dude you helped me a lot tnx :)

netverse reply on August 4th, 2013 10:26 am:

Well Chris,
    It seems this solution fixed my problem with BLOCKNOTE.NET EDITOR Crashing. I already had the option you suggest selected in DEP and I believe that is when I encountered. The situation is as follows, when a person installs windows and changes DEP to the option you list, that is when blocknote crashes, unless you add blocknote.net as an exception.

I could not find a solution to BLOCKNOTE.net in general, so I queried the Appcrash and StackHash_2264, which brought me to this page and your solution—Method 1 did work–that is why I am posting this here for anyone else who has a blocknote.net problem. I do believe if you set DEP in windows XP to– “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”– it will crash unless you add it to the list of exceptions.

————————————–

Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 2264
    Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
    Additional Information 3: 875f
    Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Binish Manandhar reply on September 27th, 2013 5:22 am:

Thanx Man.. Solved My Problem.. (Y)

lalit reply on July 29th, 2014 11:53 am:

how to troubleshoot this problems thanks in advance
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: feb0
    Additional Information 2: feb06a803f282621d94071f4837a68e4
    Additional Information 3: a277
    Additional Information 4: a27799b9822ac172e1a020375f0bbf7a

2. watcher13 says:

Thanks for a useful explanation on the StackHash entry.

As to DEP:
    Even if Chris was right, and I don’t agree that DEP is the issue, turning off DEP for an app. every time one crashes with a StackHash error in the report, is like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. And, it can be argued, missing the fly and destroying the table. I have seen many of these reports and often the crash occurs when memory is low, whether that’s directly related to the cause or just a stressing factor. This is not surprising, since many crashes are caused by an illegal memory operation. This is often related to a driver trying to execute an operation which is unadvisable in Windows. However, these operations DON’T EVEN ALWAYS result in crashes.

The purpose of DEP exceptions is to allow you to run programs which simply will not run with DEP enabled. Enabling a DEP exception every time you get a single crash is like trying to stay heavily medicated to avoid an occassional minor pain. And it probably won’t work, anyway.

3. watcher13 says:

I should also clarify that I’m not saying some of these errors don’t trigger DEP. But I’m sure many of these same crashes occurred before DEP was available. So blaming DEP, as you say Tom, is not adressing the real error.

4. Vygantas says:

1st method does not work on x64 systems

5. Carlo says:

I get a StackHash_7F04 crash on Windows 7 explorer sometimes when I right click on a file. I wasn’t trying to start any application.

I looked for a solution on the internet but found nothing, just a lot of bla bla bla and technobabble.

Toby reply on January 20th, 2010 9:59 pm:

Carlo, Seriously. Lets talk.

Technobabble?

Fortunately for you I like to explain things, I am a serious essay and technical writer. I lay things out for people in layman’s terms. (The best I can.)

Stack Hashes are basically data from programs that are in memory, that is unreserved for that program.

You see there is memory reserved for each program when it starts. The data from the program is extrapolated by the processor and sorted out in the processor cache if it overloads the processor cache it is feed into memory addresses that are reserved for that use, for the use of the processor to sort out the program, as it is loading.

A application will fail, or crash when that code is copied into memory and it loses some data. Data loss happens because the memory still has static built up in it that was not cleared properly or it simply ran out of room and over wrote the memory that was previously there, stringing the data together confusing the processor when it tries to load the program.

This would explain why it happens when you right click on a program, or open it. It can also happen if you are playing video or music.

Video and music data does not look different but, if a block of data overwrites another, even if the memory has been cleared by the processor, static electricity is very volatile. The science of using static electricity is really young.

Electrostatic discharge from your body can cause serious damage to your memory and has to be refreshed constantly. Electrostatic discharge from your body can burn out everything on your motherboard.

They have that hexadecimal code such as 7f04 or ac62, because that is the address in memory of the faulty code.

It can also happen if it pushes the data into memory blocks and can’t remember it did. This is called buffer overrun. It has too much Data to process at the time and it overruns the buffer and is pushed into those reserved blocks of memory I referred to. Buffer overrun is not a myth, it is common and most occasions when it happens, the memory holds it, the processor knows where it is and what it is, but, a certain small percentage is not.

The answer to the problem is to make sure you have enough memory. Other than that, well it is a bug. A hardware/software interaction type of bug. A bug that cannot be solved by any fix besides that. Watch your memory usage levels when you do it, if you can. How much memory are you using? You can simply right click on an item and all the sudden crash, the application fails.

It is a clash of data. Don’t let it bother you, when it happens shut down your computer for like 30 seconds so that the static memory is cleared naturally and watch your memory usage.

Its a way for your computer to say I can’t take it anymore, I need a bit of a break.

Or if it happens frequently like a couple of times an hour, a few times a day, you need new memory or more memory. Depending on whether you are redlining during normal usage or not. Because if it is then your computer needs new memory, if it happens constantly at the same hexadecimal address, you are going to have to buy new memory anyway because it is Farked.

Answer buy some good memory. Or go easy on the memory you have it’s not fool proof you know, Nothing is fool proof.

As for you other idiots, do any of you have a computer science degree? People at Microsoft are fools, the rate of Windows crashes are the result of not paying attention to hardware load. (They were only recently shown the error of their ways.)

The best way to run windows is to use a virtual machine on top of Ubuntu. Like they call Windows M.E., Many errors, they should call Ubuntu no errors. But software companies do not write software for people with understanding of computer hardware.

Don’t get excited, we could still be using punch cards and light bulb processing. *Snicker*

15 minutes of my life were wasted here. But, that’s life, a big waste of time. ;)

By the way your captcha is wonky.

Donna Chick reply on June 9th, 2010 5:41 pm:

I am running Windows 7 and I have a “Microsoft Register Server has stopped working” error every time my new (2 mos old) ASUS computer starts. This began about 3 weeks ago. The accompanying info also states: PROBLEM EVENT NAME: Appcrash; APPLICATION NAME: regsvr32.exe; FAULT MODULE NAME: StackHash_8864.

Is there anything here that looks familiar to you? I’d really appreciate any help you can give me I have noticed that despite 4 gb of memory, my computer is running slowly.

Thanks so much!
    ~Donna

RIM_Mel reply on September 15th, 2010 1:24 pm:

Toby thanks for explaining what is going on – really appreciated!

Tim reply on December 23rd, 2011 10:57 pm:

I get this error when I try to open Mass Effects, but my machine is fast (I have 8 gigs of RAM) and I don’t have a problem opening/playing games that use the same amount of resource (Portal and Portal 2, for example), so the problem isn’t that that I don’t have enough memory. Any recommendations?

6. Toby says:

Have no idea what I am talking about, that’s great.

7. Dhritiman says:

Hi,

I am using Windows7. Whenever I try to configure my proxy under Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN settings, the “StackHash_e3fe” error comes. Tried running the sfc scannow command, no use… I do not think that the hardware is the problem here though…

8. berniemansell says:

I am using Win7 64 bit on a quad 3.2ghz with 8GB ram. So its a good quick machine but I have the same problem. I am running AutoCad 2010 LT. This has crashed a few times when i have tried to save. The file did not save. This error has happened quiet a few times & I have left posts on Autodesk forums thinking it was an AutoCad problem. They think it is a problem with windows. The main problem is that i have another computer with the exact same hardware and software, That PC has not been affected.I have tried DEP but that doesn’t work with 64bit software. I would love to hear any other suggestions.

9. Tazrunner says:

If i may add to this.. since i just recently developed this issue (yesterday 8/23/10 just after my game crashed and i tried to restart it)

___error__
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 4c0d
    Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
    Additional Information 3: 4c0d
    Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

__end error__

this appears every time i try to start the game now.

I BELIEVE that i had 1 stick (2 GB) that had an issue – under stress test built by opening alot of copies of 1 program, that was the only 1 of 4 sticks in at the time, it froze up the machine.

So IMHO after a bit of research, I believe that the memory failed as i was playing the game, caused an error at some read/write location, and now that the stick of memory is replace, is still not allowing the game to play.

Any ideas as to a way to remove the offending error?
    The game file checker says that all my files are on par and correct.
    This is a Steam game.
    Windows 7-64bit Pro
    I am going to delete the .exe and replace it and see if that helps.

Thank you for any ideas and the time to assist me.
    Taz

10. BullDog says:

I’m haveing a crap of a time with SOF2. I’m running vista 32 bit OS and SOF2 ran fine before. I got spyware on my pc and I reformatted pc and now I am having this trouble:
    Here is the error that I am getting:

Problem signature:
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 1557
    Additional Information 2: 6ad9a3a370bcb361a890190e4aa5e4cb
    Additional Information 3: 659f
    Additional Information 4: 7173dca564b34c9b0e1446cb797cd1c2

11. M . R says:

i am having this problem too
    with every single one of my software even paint

i`ll be glad if anybody help me throw …

1- changing memory is one thing i can`t afford

if there is any other way that can decrease or make it ok i`d like to hear

12. Zardoz2293 says:

Highly unlikely anyone is having a memory hardware failure which is generating the StackHash errors UNLESS you are overclocking. If you think you have a memory problem download and execute IntelBurnTest by AgentGOD. If your system passes the “Stress Level:Standard” with everything else as default you are good to go. If you don’t pass the test, downgrade you overclocking.

13. nihan says:

Additional Information 1: 9aec
    Additional Information 2: 9aec98015d000507fa92aa552ce57306
    Additional Information 3: 8081
    Additional Information 4: 8081c826222f3be7d6c52b17a147535e

what to do?

15. Anthony says:

So i have the same problem here, my customer was using win 2003 32 bits with their in-house apps. While they test the same apps on XP 64 and Win 7 64 bits, it works pretty good, but when we tried to test them in Win 2008 R2 SP1 doest work anyway.
    Btw,i dont think DEP is solution (i tried too).

Regards.

16. thiha says:

i have a this stack hash error who to solution ?

Problem signature:
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 199c
    Additional Information 2: 199cc907df8a4654c8ebf31545ec3b64
    Additional Information 3: ac93
    Additional Information 4: ac932fb721b478be6e53cf5b63cba0e7

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1062
    Additional Information 1: 17d4
    Additional Information 2: 17d4ae8e502af461ecbf33a3c6957cbe
    Additional Information 3: dca5
    Additional Information 4: dca5e1ca790bcbbbd89af485a4203f60

I have Win7 32bit system with AMD athalon 5200+ Dual Core, 4gb ram. Happens when i close Microsoft Word!

18. plouk says:

same probleme with firefox program dep thing don’t work who can help me

19. Carlo says:

I continuously receive “Internet Explore has stopped working messages” while surfing the web. It crashes for about 20 seconds and then the tab refreshes itself. It is very frustrating. The problem reports state that the Fault Module is StackHash or Flash. What do I need to do to fix? Help ! Grazie

20. bharath says:

thanks much for your solution

21. Amardeep says:

This problem was with window 7 ultimate for alphaeaseFC 1D gel documentation system software. Now working perfectly. Thanx to all.
    Amardeep

22. Shanky says:

I m getting this error while launching crysis 3 executable …

Problem signature:
    Locale ID: 16393
    Additional Information 1: 528d
    Additional Information 2: 528d466643aecbc7e055b4b2625bdce3
    Additional Information 3: 7779
    Additional Information 4: 7779dd32d9badb7fc2a796113b089758

KrNel reply on June 29th, 2013 5:07 am:

Any solution to this StackHash_528d issue for Crysis 3?
    Thanks!

23. Khanh says:

I have the same problem with StackHash and nvwgf2um.dll while i trying to play Shogun 2. Every others game is running fine ( Starcraft II, World of Tanks, Mech Warrior Online … ) Only that game crashed ….

My system is
    Win 7 64bits Home Premium,
    8GB of RAM,
    Intel i3570k,
    SSD Kindston HyperX 3k 120GB
    GPU : Nvidia 240 GT

I run the Shogun through Steam, on a external HDD ( so other games ). I did try everything i can find on this site and internet, but nothing works … My system only couple months old.

ANY help would be great.

24. Khanh says:

UPDATE

For those whom try to run Shogun 2, change it to runs in DirectX 9 it works, i just play 1/2hour of it.

Once again thank you for your help.
    All the best with your life.
    And come home to Jesus if you can.:)

25. Ajit Kannan says:

Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: b3eb
    Additional Information 2: b7fa37aebada436920cb38813a95e8d3
    Additional Information 3: dab6
    Additional Information 4: 91eec6a2df9dacf9609b09844ac6dd47

26. nico says:

I kept receiving the Stackhash error with Photoshop 64bit. I switched out the RAM as Toby had suggested, but I still had the same error, even with new RAM. I finally figured out that the cause of my error was the driver from a recently installed Wacom Bamboo tablet. Removed the driver and the error went away. I did some research and found this was a problem that many users were having and an issue that Wacom and Adobe were aware of. After figuring that part out and more research I found that you can only have 1 Wacom tablet driver installed per system. So if you have multiple tablets (like I do for different scenarios) then you have to choose which one you want and only install one. Everything works perfectly now.

So, while Toby’s explanation was great and after reading it I thought my RAM would be, according to him “farked,” my RAM wasn’t the issue. So before you go out and buy more RAM like I did, consider that there could be another reason for your issues and just because some guy, who basically says he knows-it-all, says your RAM is dead that it may be perfectly fine.

aj reply on August 17th, 2013 3:03 am:

this is the same error i got. uninstalling latest wacom bamboo driver solved it!!!

27. andy says:

even control panel is posting that error

28. Carles Palau says:

If software disabling DEP does not work, disable DEP for Hardware from computer bios

29. Ralffy says:

I found a solution :D click right on the program (if it’s running already but you don’t know where it is the location, run task manager and look at process window, on windows 8 it’s details window. When you found the process click right on it and press “open file location”), run the troubleshoot compatibility and make sure that it runns like administrator checking the box needs additional permission, test the program and save the settings. For me it works (sorry for my bad english :) )

30. ges says:

JUst want to report that your solution worked well for me.
    I’m testing my old winXP setup on one free amazon AWS t1.micro AMI instance. (I intend to use this a an emergency backup while traveling far away)
    Loading Office 97 on winServer 2008 has worked for me before, but in this case, I was getting those StackHash errors everytime I tried to use an Excel sheet with VBA code underneath.
    Not having confidence in MS’s attempts at “protection”, I just checked the DoNot UseDEBunlessEssential button. No problem ever since. Too much protection is bad protection

31. olaghoo says:

hello I just wanted to say that all of these solution are useless,DEP is the solution for BEX errors and it’s not for stackhash I’m playing star wars empire at war,in the middle of the game it will give me stackhash error even when I turned off DEP for sweaw.exe please type something useful.

32. kriff says:

Almost pulling my hair out and getting frustrated. Still nowhere near finding a solution to this kind of problem too. Does anyone else have more ideas or suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated

33. Art R says:

I ran a system restore and issue is no longer present on local and domain user profiles (Win7 32bit IE11)

Art R reply on July 9th, 2014 9:09 am:

Resetting IE11 to default in advanced tab, with box checked to “delete personal settings” worked ok too on another Win 7 32bit PC